Omni Always-On Hack ? Theft protection.

EVriderDK
Rookie
Rookie
Denmark
Merk SP: Stromer ST2 2017
Km-stand: 20000

So, the theft protection of these bike are completely useless as you can just remove the battery = No connection/tracking.

So I was thinking about putting a AUX battery or power bank that would power the Omni only, Also after removing the battery.

Ideally:
1. Main board is powered on always, But could be turned off with a hidden switch.
2. When I put in the main battery, the AUX battery will charge. (Could use USB port for this)
3. The display and lights should be dead when running on AUX battery. This is also for conserving energy, but mostly to trick the thief into thinking that everything is dead.

I was thinking of buying a gps tracker but why not use the Omni if possible ?

Any ideas ?
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands
Merk SP: Stromer ST3 PINION SE

EVriderDK schreef: 28 sep 2021, 22:55 So, the theft protection of these bike are completely useless as you can just remove the battery = No connection/tracking.
But also: no riding ;) Same when removing the OMNI display; you can't track it, but the thief can't use it.

However, I agree with you. I have been hoping for quite a while that Stromer decides to give the OMNI display it's own separate battery. One of the problems with that is, that an OMNI in anti-theft mode uses quite some capacity (about 10% per 24 hours from a 983Wh battery) because only the screen turns off. The rest of the system is still up and running.

Can't help you with the tech stuff though, so I hope others will respond because it's an interesting project :ay
Stromer ST1 X 2017 - Stromer ST2 S 2018 - Klever X ALPHA 45 2021 - Stromer ST3 PINON 2023
FreddyH
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands
Merk SP: Klever X-Speed α

As Stromeur says, the OMNI uses about 10% of a 983 Wh battery power day. That's a lot of energy. For the sake of argument, let's say it uses 90 Wh per day. How big will you make your auxiliary battery pack?

If you make a 10.8 V pack (3 Li-Ion cells in serie) and use 3500 mAh cells you have 3.5 Ah * 10.8 V = 37.8 Wh. Your OMNI will run less than half a day on that.
Fair enough, so we'll use 3 of those 10.8 V blocks in parallel. Now we have a whopping 113.4 Wh, enough to power the OMNI for 30 hours. That's still not a lot, but where are you going to put 9 of those 18650 cells?

See the problem? Even if you were to somehow find space for another 983 Wh battery (spoiler alert: you aren't), you still only have enough power for 10 days...

That OMNI simply uses a ridiculous amount of energy. I don't think this is going to work.
🇺🇦
There was never a good war, or a bad peace :bn:
[Benjamin Franklin]
EVriderDK
Rookie
Rookie
Denmark
Merk SP: Stromer ST2 2017
Km-stand: 20000

Hi both.

I will make sure that controller etc does not switch on, so it should not use that much power I think ?
Controller is powered from the main battery normally.
Only the mainboard should have power.
FreddyH
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

The controller only uses power when the engine needs to be powered, at least: that's how it should work.

I would measure the amount of power that gets drawn by various components (OMNI, controller, etc) before I would start with a project like this. You simply have to know where that 90 Wh is dissipated!
🇺🇦
[Benjamin Franklin]
Jins
Veteraan
Veteraan
Belgium
Merk SP: X-speed
Km-stand: 15000

I assume that you can power the Omni with 5V, just like most electronics. Suppose it consumes 0.3A then that is 1.5W. Suppose the Omni turns 12V into 5V with a simple voltage regulator (such as a 7805 or its SMD variant), then the consumption is 0.3A at 12V or 3.6W. In 24 hours that is 86.4Wh where you actually only need 36Wh.
Some "suppose" assumptions but fairly realistic.
Polling
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

Is there no possibility to keep the aux-battery connected with the main-battery, so it will keep charged, and only will be drawn when the main-battery is removed? That will mean that the removal of the main-battery will keep the anti-theft and tracking active fo a while.
Peter Polling
motorloze Gaastra 4.14 voor recreatie en vakanties;
Bulls Lacuba E45 (Brose middenmotor) voor WW-verkeer
mrstrom

Jins schreef: 29 sep 2021, 09:27 I assume that you can power the Omni with 5V, just like most electronics. Suppose it consumes 0.3A then that is 1.5W. Suppose the Omni turns 12V into 5V with a simple voltage regulator (such as a 7805 or its SMD variant), then the consumption is 0.3A at 12V or 3.6W. In 24 hours that is 86.4Wh where you actually only need 36Wh.
Some "suppose" assumptions but fairly realistic.
Well assumption won't help. Does anyone know the connections of the OMNI plug? can you power it up with another battery? And can you power up only parts of the Omni?

This seems easier : https://www.gps-partner.nl/aanbevolen-g ... abonnement
FreddyH
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

Jins' assumptions are probably realistic, but they don't help much (unless I'm missing something).

Either you treat the OMNI as black box, measure the amount of power it uses and prepare for that, or (if his assumptions are correct) you open the OMNI and see if you can power it at 5V (or whatever).

Mrstrom's suggestion might indeed be the simpelest solution.
🇺🇦
[Benjamin Franklin]
Jan-Willem Wisselink
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands
Merk SP: Stromer ST1x (2019)
Km-stand: 6313

Stromeur schreef: 28 sep 2021, 23:05(about 10% per 24 hours from a 983Wh battery)
Is this for an Omni-C? Because I left my stromer ST1x with the old Omni fully charged at the dealer for repair (and they couldn't fix it...) but after my 4 weeks holiday, it was still on 60%. It was constantly on; i could refresh the omni app during those 4 weeks. (And yes you can refresh to when the stromer is off; but you will get a warning that it can't communicate with the bike). I have the 983Wh battery.
Stromer rijder sinds augustus 2017.
Stromer ST1x (2019) - 10147km - Top Contact - Ergo - Kinekt - 2x983Wh
Stromer ST1x (2017) - 21.371km - Top Contact - Ergo - Thudbuster large - 1x813Wh
Woonwerk: 58km enkel / 116km retour.
Plaats reactie